Text, Meaning and Variation Workshop
Dec 14-15, The University of Sydney
The titles for the plenary talks:
- Doug Biber 'Diverging literacies in English: the
evolution of specialist and non-specialist registers'
- Barbara Horvath 'Sociolinguistic discourse analysis:
studying text in conversation'
- Ruqaiya Hasan 'Semantic variation: the meanings of social
- Christian Matthiessen 'Moving along the cline of
instantiation: instantiation and variation'
- Doug Biber 'Cross-linguistic patterns of variation in
three languages: English, Korean, Somali'
In addition, each speaker will organise a hands-on workshop
introducing participants to their various approaches to analysing
variation in discourse.
Registrations welcome ($160, cheques made out to Australian
Systemic Functional Linguistics Association, c/o Scott Kiesling,
Linguistics, Uniersity of Sydney, NSW 2006).